Tuesday, May 20, 2014

moist apple cupcake


Have you ever heard of a recipe so easy that you enjoy baking the item again and again and again?

Well, on 17 May 2014 (Saturday), my baking hands were "itchy" and I rummaged through my refrigerator to see what ingredients I had available.  I chanced upon 2 red apples in the refrigerator.  Now... what can I bake with 2 red apples.

As I tell the juniors in my office that I mentor (jokingly, of course!), "let's ask Mr Google".  And so out came my ipad and I googled "apple cake".  Many links came up and I browsed through them, mindful of the fact that Baby Chickadee would wake up from her nap soon and I wanted a recipe that was "chop chop".

After browsing several links, I came across a recipe for an apple cake that claimed to be the easiest apple cake recipe in the world. Intrigued, I looked at the recipe and the steps were tremendously easy.  Although the recipe called for green apples, well... I only had red apples in the refrigerator and they would have to do.

And so I gave the recipe a try.  It was super duper easy.  PIL came over for dinner that day and MIL (who has discerning tastebuds when it comes to my bakes) gave it the thumbs up.

I had lunch with a colleague on 19 May 2014 (Monday) and I raved about the recipe to her.  We talked about baking a cupcake version of the apple cake.  It just so happened that in the morning of 19 May 2014, I bought green apples, red apples, pears and bananas from a fruit shop near my office.  And throughout the work meeting that I had that night, as I was furiously taking down meeting notes, my mind was concurrently wandering and thinking about baking green apple cupcakes, so much so that when I got home (late!), I packed the Chickadees' schoolbags as quickly as I could, did a bit of housework and then I determinedly took out my baking tools.  Da entered into the kitchen and asked me what I was doing.  I replied that I was going to bake green apple cupcakes.  He gave me one of those "at this hour?  sigh..." look and left me alone.

And I got down to business.

The recipe that you see in this post is modified from the apple cake recipe that I used on 17 May 2014.


INGREDIENTS

1 cup self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
dash of ground cinnamon
1/2 cup castor sugar
1 egg
125 butter (melted)
2 green apples (diced)


METHOD

1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.

2. Line the cupcake pans with the paper cases.

3. Mix all the ingredients together.

4. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cupcake comes out clean.


TIPS

1. The original recipe called for double the amount of sugar that you see in the recipe above.  I cut down the sugar by half and it was sweet enough for my tastebuds.

2. You can also add a dash of ground nutmeg.

3. The apples need not be peeled but if you prefer not to eat the skin of the apple, by all means, do peel them.

4. You can substitute the green apples with red apples.


NOTES

This recipe yields a very moist cupcake.  Be forewarned that you may find yourself reaching for a second cupcake!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin