Tuesday, December 11, 2012

orange museli muffins


I was very pleased to find one large orange when I was rummaging through our refrigerator.  Perfect for making muffins!  I would have liked to bake an orange pound cake but I did not have any cake flour at home.


I have several graters at home.  I do not know how I ended up with so many but any one of them would suffice to grate the orange peel to obtain orange zest.


Do excuse the poor lighting in my dining room.  The actual muffins do not look as anaemic as the photographs suggest.


For a little oomph, I added some mixed museli (ie. museli with raisins, etc) to the muffin batter.


INGREDIENTS

2 cups self-raising flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup castor sugar
zest of 1 large orange
2/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1/2 cup butter (melted)
2 eggs
1/2 cup mixed museli


METHOD

1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.

2. Line the muffin pans with paper cases.  Set aside.

3. Sift the self-raising flour and salt in a bowl.  Add the sugar and orange zest and mix well.

4. Stir in the orange juice, melted butter, eggs and mixed museli until just blended.  Do not overstir.

5. Pour the batter into the muffin cases until almost full.

6. Bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the muffins come out clean.

7. Let the muffins cool thoroughly on a wire rack before storing.


No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin