Tuesday, December 4, 2012

vanilla ice cream


I love the ice cream maker that Da gave me several years ago.  He bought it from a specialty shop along Seah Street.  I wonder whether the shop is still there?  I remember patronising the shop and going ga-ga over the endless array of kitchen "toys".


I have discovered that it would be easier to mix the ice cream base in a blender or using an electric mixer first before transferring it to the ice cream maker.


Our friend, WC loved this vanilla ice cream when we offered him two scoops.  I must admit that I prefer chocolate ice cream but Da likes vanilla ice cream so I am happy that there are several takers for this ice cream.


I used whipping cream when I made the ice cream.  You can substitute it with heavy cream if you prefer a creamier ice cream.


It would be preferable to use vanilla extract instead of vanilla essence.  Vanilla essence tends to have an artificial taste.  Vanilla essence is acceptable for use in baking but when you use it to make ice cream, you can taste the difference as compared to when you use vanilla extract.


INGREDIENTS

1 1/2 cups low fat milk
1 1/8 cups icing sugar
3 cups whipping cream
1 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract


METHOD

1. Whisk the milk and sugar using an electric mixer until the sugar is dissolved.

2. Add the whipping cream and vanilla extract and mix well.

3. Pour the mixture into the freezer bowl of the ice cream maker.  Switch on the ice cream maker.

4. When the ice cream is done, transfer it to a container and freeze for at least 2 hours.


TIP

If you want the ice cream to be creamier, you can substitute the low fat milk with whole milk.  I used low fat milk because this is the only type of milk that we buy for consumption (we are waistline conscious... haha...).


No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin