Saturday, August 25, 2012

banana kueh

I have not had the time to update my food blog lately.  With two Princesses in the house, I never seem to have enough time.  It is a pity because I enjoy baking and cooking, both of which are a luxury for me right now.

Yesterday, I bought a small bunch of large Dole bananas from Sun Moon fruit shop.  MIL took a look at the bananas and she told me that the bananas will become overripe by today.  She was right.


When Da was out with Princess Buttercup and Baby Buttercup was taking a nap, I was in the kitchen, itching to do some baking.  I did not really have anything in mind to bake other than to try and reduce the number of overripe bananas on our dining table.


I made this without a recipe.  On hindsight, it was quite a brave feat considering that I have not really been baking for some time.  Fortunately, the end product was not too bad.


INGREDIENTS

1 egg (beaten)
1 cup low fat milk
3 tbsp castor sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
dash of ground cinnamon
10 slices bread (cubed)
2 large overripe bananas (mashed)
1/4 cup raisins
3/4 cup Bisquick flour


METHOD

1. Preheat the over to 180 degrees celsius.

2. Grease and flour a 8" square cake pan.  (I used 2 smaller cake pans as I happened to have them readily available on top of my microwave oven.)

3. Whisk the egg, milk, castor sugar, brown sugar and ground cinnamon in a large mixing bowl using a hand whisk.

4. Add the bread, mix it using a wooden spoon and let it soak for 2 to 3 minutes.

5. Add the bananas, raisins and flour and mix well.

6. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the pan comes out clean.

7. Cool on a metal rack before slicing.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin