Wednesday, November 4, 2009

mango bundt cake

Whenever I stumble on a recipe that works, I like to play around with the recipe and make variations of the item in question. The mango cake that you see in this post is a classic case of variation.

Da and I had two overripe mangoes in our refrigerator. I was not in the mood to make a smoothie and as such I used the mangoes to bake a mango cake. For this cake, I adapted the recipe for a banana cake that I had.

The verdict? The mango cake was moist and delicious. You can taste the mango flavour and there are still some visible pieces of mango in the cake. However, I would advise that you use one mango instead of two mangoes. As this was a trial and error session for me, I used two mangoes but I found that using two mangoes added a bit too much liquid to the batter.

INGREDIENTS

2 cups self-raising flour
250g butter (softened)
1 cup castor sugar
3 eggs
1 large overripe mango (cut into small cubes)
1/2 tsp mango essence

METHOD

1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.

2. Grease and flour a bundt pan. Set aside.

3. Sift the self-raising flour in a bowl. Set aside.

4. Cream the butter and sugar in a bowl using an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

5. Add the cubed mangoes and beat well.

6. Fold in the flour and stir until blended.

7. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted near the middle of the cake comes out clean.

1 comment:

mandy said...

haha , cheated ! vanilla essence changed to mango essence ! smartness ! (:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin