Monday, December 3, 2012

basic scones


During my university days, my friends (BV and EK) and I used to go to Goodwood Park hotel for high tea on Saturdays.  I recall that amongst the buffet spread were super scrummy scones which went so well with jam and cream.


Once you get the hang of making scones, you can even make variations such as fruit scones, etc.


You get to use your "pinchy fingers" (to quote Princess Chickadee) when making scones.  Perfect for those days when you just feel like pinching somebody.


INGREDIENTS

225g self-raising flour
pinch of salt
25g castor sugar
40g butter (cold)
125ml low fat milk


METHOD

1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius.

2. Sieve the flour and salt in a large bowl.

3. Use a butter knife to slice the butter and drop the sliced butter onto the flour mixture.  Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.

4. Add the sugar and mix well.

5. Make a well in the middle of the mixture and add the milk into the well.  Mix using a spatula until a dough is formed.

6. Turn the dough onto a floured board.  Using floured hands, knead the dough until smooth.

7. Roll out the dough till about 3/4" thick  and cut using a round cookie cutter.

8. Place the scones onto a baking pan that has been lined with baking paper.

9. Bake for 10 minutes.


The scones that you see in this post are not as thick as they should be.  Princess Chickadee wanted to try her hand at rolling out dough so I let her use the rolling pin.  In her enthusiasm, she rolled out the dough quite thin.  I decided to let her have her way because she is not yet 3.5 years of age and I find it commendable that she has the perseverance to want to bake, so I give her as much encouragement as I can.  To me, it is not about what she bakes or whether the end result is perfect.  I am simply enjoying the time that we spend together when she is being my little disciple in the kitchen.


This is what Princess Chickadee did with the balance dough - she pressed it onto a silicon baking pan that is in the shape of a butterfly.  Bon appetit!


No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin