Monday, April 28, 2014

Tomato bread stick



Okay, okay... this is my rare few attempts at baking bread without using a breadmaker to prepare the dough. I have to admit that I need to do a better job at kneading the dough and shaping the bread sticks!

I thought about these tomato bread sticks (after I made them for the first time last night) and I am so tempted to use a breadmaker the next time I make these, simply so that I can get the breadmaker to prepare the dough. haha!  However, looking at how easy this recipe is, I really have to remind myself that every now and then, it is nice to "go back to basics" and omit the use of modern kitchen tools.


I adapted this recipe from a recipe that I obtained from a facebook group that I am in. The person who shared the recipe had made tomato bread sticks for her young toddler, hence it is expected that the bread stick is not very rich in taste. Having said this, though, when I baked these bread sticks, despite the less-than-presentable shape and the not-so-perfect texture (because I made them in a hurry after dinner yesterday), the bread sticks were a hit with Baby Chickadee. She had 3 helpings!


INGREDIENTS

100g to 110g tomatoes
100g bread flour 
50g cake flour 
1 tbsp milk powder 
1 tsp instant yeast 
Pinch of salt 
½ tbsp brown sugar



METHOD

1. Blend the fresh tomatoes in a blender. Set aside.

2. Mix all the dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl.

3. Add the blended tomatoes and mix into a dough. If the dough is sticky, add a bit more bread flour.

4. Separate the dough into smaller portions and mould each portion into desired shape.

5. Place the moulded dough on a baking tray (lined with baking paper) and cover the tray with a dry cloth. Leave aside for about an hour to proof.


6. Bake the bread sticks in an oven preheated to 200 degrees celsius for about 10 minutes.


TIPS

1. The riper the tomato, the juicier and sweeter.

2. I did not remove the skin nor seeds of the tomato.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin